Sakaja Johnson (born February 2, 1985) is the current Senator of Nairobi County, following his election to the position on the 8th August 2017 General Election in Kenya.
Sakaja Johnson singled himself out as a visionary leader from an early age. His political journey started in his days as a student at the University of Nairobi where he was elected as the Chairman of the Student Organization of Nairobi University in SONU. His initial involvement with national politics was in 2005, during the referendum for the then proposed constitution. He used his platform as a SONU leader to rally the youth at the Referendum. Thereafter, he joined the Kibaki team for 2007 elections as the director of the Vijana na Kibaki lobby group. At the election, he took a lead role in vote tallying support for the Presidential Secretariat. During the 2008 post-election crisis, his resolve to see a solution found resulted in him addressing President Mwai Kibaki’s Cabinet at the age of 22.
Thereafter, at the age of 26, Sakaja helped form The National Alliance (TNA) the party that the current Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta rode to electoral victory in 2013. At 27 years, Sakaja became the Chairman of the ruling party.
He was later nominated as a Member of Parliament (MP) to the National Assembly where he distinguished himself as an astute legislator.
He now serves as the elected Senator for Nairobi County where his key mandate is to represent the County in Senate, protect its interest and to participate in lawmaking, active oversight for the County, debating and approving Bills concerning Counties.
Positions held currently:
- Chairman of the Kenya Young Parliamentarians Association, a parliamentary caucus responsible for advocacy of youth empowering policies and legislation as well as mentorship of youth leaders. This is a position he has held since 2013.
- Patron of Kenya Professional Boxing Commission
- Patron of AFC Leopards football club
Positions held previously:
- Chairman of the ruling party TNA (The National Alliance) between 2013 -2017.
- Chairman of the Joint Committee on National Cohesion and Equal Opportunities in the 11th Parliament (2013 - 2017) whose mandate was to monitor and promote measures on matters policy and initiatives and works towards promoting peace and national cohesion.
Awards and achievements
- African Achievers Award Changemaker of the Year 2016 in recognition of his leadership skills and youth empowerment in Kenya.
- Co-authored a book in collaboration with the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ - Kenya Chapter) on Representation and Fiscal Decentralization having particularly written on the Operational Framework for Devolution in Kenya.
- He was instrumental in the 2010 constitution-making process as a key consultant to the Committee of Experts and the Parliamentary Select Committee on the Constitution on the issue of representation and came up with the formula for delimitation of Electoral boundaries in Kenya that guided Article 89.
- In recognition of distinguished and outstanding services rendered to the nation in various capacities and responsibilities, H.E Uhuru Kenyatta awarded Sen. Sakaja Johnson with the The Order of the Burning Spear; First Class: Chief of the Order of the Burning Spear (CBS)